Wednesday, November 16, 2016

The Loyal Opposition

A term has come to mind that I haven't heard in a while and it seems to apply to our current political climate:  loyal opposition.

As I understand it, the notion comes from parliamentary forms of government, such as in England.  Simply put, it describes the collection of people and parties not in power.   For a more complete definition see Loyal opposition.  

I wonder why we can't use the term and, to a certain extent, the concept to describe those of us, both post- and pre-Donald Trump, who remain loyal to our country, but who disagree with the party in power.  The term seems to carry more respect than we use now to vilify whoever opposes us.

And that's my point, to return to a civil discourse.  So, yes, I'm loyal, but I am definitely the opposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment