Friday, August 5, 2016

Abortion -- Where I Stand -- What I Believe

There's a part of me that says I should keep my mouth shut about this topic.  Why?  I lack two X chromosomes.

Having said that, there's some ambivalence in my thoughts.  I don't think that abortion is completely morally neutral.  There are many circumstances that can serve to "justify" the act:  poverty, ignorance, rape, incest, mother's health/life.  Convenience, not so much.  "Not in our plan", not so much.  I have a real problem when the reason for an abortion is that one or two people do not want to take responsibility for their action.

But, I absolutely believe that a woman has the right to make decisions about her own body and health.  Unfortunately, the decision to abort affects a woman and another, incipient life.

Of course, this debate would not occur if we lacked the technology to provide safe abortions to women.  Basically, we perform abortions because we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment